Saturday, June 2, 2012

Popular

Well, I know you were concerned... but Luke has been killing it in school.  That's no lie.  He studies more than small babies sleep.  As opposed to large babies, who don't get any sleep.  Because the other babies keep calling them names.  He was just accepted into the Scholar's program at college.  I couldn't have been prouder.  It's crazy to think that just four months ago I was worried that he would fail at school and rejoin the army.  That couldn't be further from my mind now.

Now the elephant in the room is the question of when we're going to move to Arizona.  The plan was originally to only stay for a year and then I would find a job in AZ, and Luke would transfer to another community college.  By the time he transferred to ASU, he'd qualify for residency and in-state tuition as opposed to the exorbitant joke that is out-of-state tuition.  The problem is that Luke has fallen in love with his college so much that he wants to stay the full two years!  If we stay that long, then we'll have to pay out-of-state tuition by attending ASU.  So the part that really scares me is if we decide to stay in California for four years so that we can pay in-state tuition at a UC school.

We took a trip to AZ over Memorial Day Weekend, which was awesome.  I really love my family.  It's a good thing, too!  (Because I'm stuck with them.)  But as often happens, I started crying the day before we left, thinking about how much I'll miss them.  That is the trouble with visiting people--saying goodbye.  When Luke saw me crying, he offered to leave California at the end of the year.  But then we get home, and a couple days later, we find out he's been accepted into the Scholar's Program.  And leaving California is the last thing he wants to do now.  In the long run, will the Scholar's Program help him get a job?  Probably not, but right now it is the world to him.  I never thought that geography would be so important, but I feel like I'm missing out when I'm not around my family and friends.  They bring out the best in me, just like Hellman's mayonnaise.

On a complete side note--I was a finalist for Yahoo's Young Media Star competition.  The two winners got an all-expense paid trip to Cannes Festival in France and $2K, but I lost in the end!  It massively sucked because I won the most votes on the video I made, but the winners scored more points on their essays.  I'll probably regret writing this in my blog, because I'll go back and read this and weep again for my loss.  As my colleague at work said, "At least you're the most popular."  I'll have to remember that when I get a post card from Mike Murphy, sent with love from France.

No comments:

Post a Comment